How to buy Dogecoin (DOGE) in the UK
Current Price: £0.0024 24hr: -2.94%
There are two main options for buying Dogecoin (DOGE) in the UK. The first option involves trading Bitcoin (BTC) for DOGE, which offers the best rate. The second option is far easy, as it simply involves buying DOGE directly through Bittylicious with GBP, though you will be paying around 8% above the market rate for the convenience. Learn how to safely store your Dogecoin at the end of the guide.
Option 1: BTC -> DOGE (Best Rate)
Step 1: Buy Bitcoin
In this method, you will trade BTC for DOGE using Bittrex or Cryptopia. Thus, in order to begin, you first need to acquire some Bitcoin (BTC)…
Buy Bitcoin: You can do this via the following self-explanatory services:
Click here for a detailed guide on buying BTC in the UK, including many more options.
Step 2: BTC -> DOGE
Below are three exchange options. We recommend Cryptopia…
- Sign up for a Cryptopia account here
- Fund your account with Bitcoin
- Access your Balances page: click the Ƀ in the top menu bar, next to your avatar on the right hand side
- Navigate to Bitcoin (BTC) – it should be around page 4
- Click the green deposit button to the left of the Bitcoin row
- An address will be generated, copy it and send your Bitcoin to this address
- When your Bitcoin has arrived in your Cryptopia wallet, head to Exchange
- Search for DOGE and click on the Dogecoin row
- Now, use the Buy DOGE box to enter your price and quantity, then click Buy DOGE to place your order
- NB: You can click on entries in the order books below in order to auto-fill your bid price
- If and when your order is filled, it will appear in your Balances tab
- Sign up for a Gate.io account here
- Deposit Bitcoin into your account by going to the Wallets tab
- Click the red Deposit button on the BTC row
- Send your BTC to the address that is generated
- When your BTC arrives in your Gate.io wallet, head to the BTC market page for DOGE (or click here)
- Enter your order parameters in the Buy DOGE panel and hit Buy
- When your order is filled, your Dogecoin will show up in your wallet
- Sign up for a Bittrex account
- Head to Wallets by clicking the button in the top menu
- Click the + (plus) button to the left of your Bitcoin wallet to reveal further details
- Send Bitcoin (BTC) to the Bittrex Bitcoin wallet address (you will be sending Bitcoin from the exchange or wallet where you bought or stored your Bitcoin)
- Wait for your Bitcoin to show up in your Bittrex wallet – this could take a while, depending on the transaction fee you set when sending your BTC.
- When you have Bitcoin in you Bittrex wallet, click the Ƀ Markets button at the top left of the menu, and type in DOGE
- Now you’re at the Dogecoin market page, you need to place your order
- Use the Buy Dogecoin panelSet the Units to Max, unless you want to keep some of your BTC to spend on other coin
- Click Price next to Bid to reveal a drop-down, and select Last or Ask
- Leave the other options as they are (unless you wish to set your own bid), then click Buy Dogecoin
- Confirm your transaction
- Now, your order will be placed, and you can check the status using the Orders button in the menu
- When your order is fulfilled, your Dogecoin will appear in your Wallets
Congratulations, you purchased Dogecoin!
Option 2: Bittylicious (£GBP)
If you don’t fancy using an exchange, you can buy Dogecoin and other cyrptocurrencies on Bittylicious, provided that you already have a wallet. This site is solely dedicated to buying bitcoin and altcoins such as Dogecoin with British Pounds (GBP), from other British sellers.
- Set up a Dogecoin wallet (if you haven’t already done so). Download a wallet for your device from the Dogecoin website
- Head to Bittylicious and select ‘Dogecoins’ from the coin drop-down
- Enter your Dogecoin address (from the wallet you set up) and email address
- Specify the amount of DOGE you’d like to purchase
- Choose whether you’d like to pay by bank transfer, credit/debit card, or Paym – Bank transfer is the cheapest option
- Hit Get some coins and follow the instructions
- Coins will be delivered to the wallet address you specified
Dogecoin Wallets: Safely Storing your DOGE
We always recommend that you move your cryptocurrencies off of exchanges if you are planning to hold on to them. This way, you’ll hold the keys to your wallet, and therefore will truly own your coins.
Hardware Wallet (recommended)
The most secure option that we recommend is to purchase a hardware wallet: a small electronic device that is immune to many of the threats that software wallets face (such as viruses and hacks).
The most reputable and appropriate hardware wallet for most of our visitors is the Ledger Nano S, which allows you to securely store a number of cryptocurrencies, including Dogecoin. You can see a full list of supported cryptocurrencies here.
If you’re not ready to buy a hardware wallet, you can also use a software wallet. We again warn you, however, that this leaves your coins vulnerable to attacks and malware, as well as a malfunctioning computer. If you choose to store your coins on a wallet, we recommend you choose one of the official wallets from the Dogecoin website.